Welcome to the online Guardianship Certificate Program offered by Garland School of Social Work at Baylor University and Friends for Life. The course provides the consumer with comprehensive knowledge of adult guardianship from beginning to end.
For professional Guardians in Texas or persons wanting to become a professional guardian, there are modules regarding the statutes governing Guardianship in Texas and the Ethics, Rules and Standards devised by the Judicial Branch Certification Commission (JBCC). The JBCC is responsible for certifying professional guardians in Texas. Certification is required for all guardians who work in non-profit or for-profit programs and for individual guardians who bill for services.
Here are topics that are covered:
- Fundamentals of guardianship
- Alternatives to guardianship of the person and estate
- Mechanics of guardianship: Application through appointment
- Responsibilities and duties of a guardian of the person and guardian of the estate
- Ethical decision-making to ensure the best possible quality of life for the person with a guardian
- Special challenges for guardians in today’s world
- Modifying or terminating a guardianship
- Lessons learned with case studies
The full course (11 modules) is perfect for certified guardians who want to polish their knowledge and skills with the added plus of a prestigious Certificate in Guardianship from Baylor University. It is an excellent preparatory course for anyone just entering the guardianship profession. Attorneys will also benefit from this comprehensive look at guardianship.
If you want to know more about this complex subject but are not interested in becoming a certified guardian, you can select individual courses or choose from several courses we put together with you in mind. These courses are customized for:
- Parent or family guardians
- Medical professionals*
- Social workers. geriatric care managers, & certified life planners*
- Senior living administrators*
- School professionals
- Disability advocates
- Professional guardians working in states other than Texas. Each state has specific statutes related to guardianship in that state but there are principles and concepts regarding quality guardianship that are applicable across all state lines.
At the end of each module, you will be given a short quiz on the content and if you have a passing score, you will receive a certificate with the number of hours earned.
LMSW and LPC CEUs are available.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com or call 254-710-6440.