Matagorda Bay B-WET is a professional development opportunity for teachers funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Bay Watershed and Education Training (B-WET) program : https://www.noaa.gov/office-education/bwet .
The purpose is to support locally relevant, authentic experiential learning through meaningful watershed educational experiences, which include learning in the outdoors and in the classroom to increase understanding and stewardship of watersheds and related ecosystems. It is being offered by the Matagorda Bay Foundation https://matbay.org/ and Baylor University’s Center for Reservoir and Aquatic Systems Research https://www.baylor.edu/crasr/ .
Matagorda Bay B-WET is open to Texas teachers in coastal counties with watersheds connected to or near the Matagorda Bay. We are currently working with High School teachers and will be working with middle school teachers in the future. It is great for Agricultural Science and Science classes. Studying watersheds can be multi-disciplinary and teachers outside of science are welcome to apply.
Important dates and details for the Matagorda Bay B-WET Project
- December 11, 2020: Deadline to apply at https://www.baylor.edu/crasr/index.php?id=974626. Application takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
- December 18, 2020: Teachers notified of acceptance status.
- January 2021: On-line (asynchronous=on your own time) professional development begins. Less than 2 hours per week to complete. 30 hours of CPE credit available. Certificate given.
- June 2021: Field workshop, Palacios TX. Currently set for June 16-18 but dates may be adjusted if needed to accommodate accepted teachers school calendars. Scheduled to be in-person, will be adjusted if needed to accommodate COVID19 at that time. $200 teacher participation stipend. 20 hours of CPE credit. Certificate given.
- School year 2021-2022: Implement meaningful watershed education experience. $500 support per teacher.